- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 large eggs, separated, whites discarded
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, plus a splash
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large bananas, sliced
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 1/3 cup creme de banana
- Scald milk, in a large sauce pot, with a pinch of the sugar (this avoids scorching the bottom of the pot).
- In a mixing bowl, add egg yolks, banana extract, bourbon and 2 cups of sugar and whisk together until the mixture is pale yellow in color and thickened. Add cornstarch and mix to combine. Very slowly pour in a little of the milk mixture, you have to do it slowly to temper the mixture, (otherwise the eggs will scramble).
- Once fully incorporated pour the entire mixture back into the pot and place over medium heat. Stir constantly until it comes to a simmer and the mixture thickens enough that it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract, then add butter cubes and stir to make the mixture rich and super glossy.
Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap onto the surface so it doesn't form a skin on the surface. Allow to cool. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, whip the cream with 1/4 cup of sugar and a splash of vanilla extract until you have stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Slice bananas and add to pastry cream. Line a small deep rectangular dish with vanilla wafers. Splash with more creme de banana then cover with banana pastry cream. Top with whipped cream and refrigerate until ready to serve.