Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 175g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 85g ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g plain chocolate chips or chunks
- few extra chunks white, plain and milk chocolate,
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb/900g loaf tin with a long strip of baking parchment. To make the loaf cake batter, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder, milk and cocoa until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then scrape into the tin. Bake for 45-50 mins until golden, risen and a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin, then lift out onto a wire rack over some kitchen paper.
- Melt the extra chocolate chunks separately in pans over barely simmering water, or in bowls in the microwave, then use a spoon to drizzle each in turn over the cake. Leave to set before slicing.