Saucy Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- 250g (9oz) Macaroni
- 1 Egg
- a sprinkle Ground nutmeg
- Black pepper to taste
- 140g (5oz), grated + 45g (1 1/2oz) cubed Gruyère cheese
- 85g (3oz), grated Mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp Mascarpone cheese
- 6, halved Cherry tomatoes
- 150g (5 1/3oz) Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp, cubed Butter
- 8 fl oz (1 cup) Milk
Temperature: 325 ° F
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add macaroni and cook for about 7 minutes. Drain macaroni and reserve about 125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) of the liquid. Set aside.
- In another bowl, crack egg into milk. Sprinkle in nutmeg and add a dash of pepper. Add Gruyère, Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Throw in semi-cooked macaroni and its reserved liquid. Mix evenly.
- Stir in Mascarpone cheese, and then pour everything into a lightly greased rectangular baking dish. Top with cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and arrange cubed butter evenly on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and crusty.
- Serve warm.
Product Used: Emile Henry Square Baking Dish